Coconut oil is well-known for its health-promoting properties, such as improved brain function and lower cholesterol. Coconut oil is also used to moisturize the skin and remove makeup.
Coconut oil is known for its unique chemical structure that may be beneficial to your hair. A hair mask is one of the best ways coconut oil can nourish your hair.
Here are some benefits to using a coconut oil hair masque. We also have simple coconut oil hair mask recipe ideas.
How can coconut oil hair masks help my hair?
Your hair can become damaged and fragile from chemical treatments, heat styling and environmental exposure. There are many ways to protect your hair. Research has shown that coconut oil may have some properties that can help your hair stay healthy.
A coconut oil hair mask is similar to a facial mask that can improve your skin’s overall appearance and health.
What are the benefits of using a coconut oil hair-mask? It may be beneficial, according to research.
- Hair is composed of three layers, which are protein. Hair coloring, styling, and blow drying can all cause hair to lose some of its cortex protein, which is the thickest layer. One 2017 review of studies confirmed that coconut oil reduced protein loss when used as a pre- and post-wash grooming product.
- It can penetrate the hair shaft.
- Replenish moisture. Because coconut oil does a better job at penetrating the hair shaft, it may also help protect your hair from dryness.
Which hair type is it most suitable for?
Many hair types can benefit greatly from more moisture and less protein loss. A coconut oil hair mask may be particularly beneficial for those with hair that is:
It can be hard to keep curls moisturized because natural oils don’t travel down the shaft as easily.
How to make a coconut oil hair mask
A simple coconut oil hair mask can be made with just 2 tablespoons. Use melted coconut oil. Use organic, unrefined coconut oils for best results.
Wrap a towel around the neck to protect your clothes from oil. The mask can be used in the shower.
- Spray your hair with a spray bottle.
- Apply the warm coconut oil (not too hot) evenly to your damp hair. To distribute the coconut oil more easily, you can split your hair. This will ensure that all hairs are coated. Hair clips can be used to keep the saturated hairs from reaching your eyes and face.
- Coconut oil should be applied to the dry areas of your hair (usually the ends) and less to the hair that is more healthy, which are usually the parts closest the scalp.
- After you have thoroughly applied oil on your hair, put a shower cap on your head.
- Allow the mask to sit for at least 1 to 2 hours. For deeper conditioning, some people leave the mask on overnight.
- Rinse with warm water and shampoo as usual.
Variations on the recipe
You can use these variations in addition to the original recipe:
Coconut oil and honey hair mask ingredients:
- 1 tbsp. organic raw honey
- 1 tbsp. organic coconut oil
- In a saucepan, combine the honey and coconut oil. The mixture should be heated on low heat until it becomes smooth. Mix the honey and oil together.
- Let the honey and coconut oil mixture cool to room temperature. Use a spray bottle to wet your hair. Then, apply the coconut oil and honey mixture using the instructions above.
- Let the mask sit for 40 minutes and then rinse with warm water. You can then shampoo and condition as usual.
Ingredients for coconut oil and egg hair mask:
- 2 tbsp. Organic coconut oil (melted).
- 1 egg (whisked)
- In a bowl, combine the coconut oil and the whisked eggs. Mix until blended.
- Spray your hair with a spray bottle and then evenly apply the coconut oil/egg mixture to your damp hair. Follow the instructions for the standard recipe.
- Allow the mask to sit for at least 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water. As usual, shampoo and condition.
Coconut oil can also be used in other ways than just for hair.
- Eczema relief. One 2013 study found that coconut oil was effective when used on children with eczema. Coconut oil penetrated the skin’s top layer and protected it from inflammation. Coconut oil can be used to relieve eczema symptoms.
- Possible dandruff relief. The oil’s .antimicrobial, antifungal, and moisturizing properties may help reduce dandruff symptoms.
- Reduced hair breakage. Because coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft and has the ability to add moisture, it may reduce the likelihood of friction-induced hair breakage.
- Lice protection. A combination of anise spray and coconut oil can be used as an alternative treatment to head lice. This combination proved to be more effective than the use of permethrin cream for active head lice in 100 people. Although coconut oil has been used for lice protection in the past, it often contains essential oils and other active ingredients.
The bottom line
Coconut oil is an excellent ingredient to use if you need a natural remedy to dry, brittle hair.
A hair mask is a great way to pamper your hair using coconut oil. A hair mask can be made easily with basic ingredients you probably already have in your home.
A coconut oil hair mask can improve the condition of your hair and scalp, even if it is not damaged.